We are delighted to be offering Junior Scholarships for the first time in 2021.
These are open to musicians aged 16-18.
January 29th - Applications open
March 14th - Applications close 11pm
April (date tbc)- Invitation to audition
May 13th - Manchester Auditions
May 14th 15th 16th - London Auditions
May 21st 22nd 23rd - London Auditions
May (date tbc)- Cardiff/Glasgow Auditions
June (date tbc)- Results announced
Scholarship applications are accepted once a year and the Trust follows a strict application and audition process.
We will award amounts ranging from £500 to £1,500 to Junior Scholars, depending on individual circumstances.
Scholarships can be used to cover fees, instrument purchase, masterclasses, competitions, recordings, concerts and other related activities.
The auditions will take place in:
There is also an option for on-line auditions for those unable to attend live.
***IF WE ARE UNABLE TO HOLD LIVE AUDITIONS, WE WILL MAKE AWARDS FROM ON-LINE APPLICATIONS.***
• Singers, solo instrumentalists and accompanists living and studying in the UK can apply.
• We do not support ensembles, composers, conductors, music theatre or jazz students.
• Applicants must be 16 or over on 1st September in the year of application, and they must live in the UK at the time of their study.
• We are open to all nationalities: UK, EU and international students can apply.
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR APPLICATION SUBMISSION:
• Applications must be submitted online using the form on our website. No other format will be accepted.
• Full biography or CV uploaded via the online form.
• Links to at least 2 video recordings lasting approximately 4 minutes each must be uploaded via the online form. Longer recordings can be submitted but candidates must specify the section to be heard.
• Name and email address of your referee.
We will ask for your reference if you are invited to audition.
• Name, email address and consent must be given by parent or guardian.
• The application deadline is strict. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. No exceptions to this rule will be made under any circumstances.
National Opera Studio, The Clore Building, 2 Chapel Yard, Wandsworth High Street, London SW18 4HZ
Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, Castle Grounds, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3ER
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, 100 Renfrew Street, Glasgow, G2 3DB
Royal Northern College of Music, 124 Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9RD
• The shortlist of auditionees will be announced in April 2021.
• The DCT allocates the audition times to the selected applicants.
• The cost of travel to audition is not covered by the DCT.
• All auditionees will have access to a practice room for 20-25mins prior to their audition.
• A piano accompanist will be provided if needed (free of charge). There will be opportunity to rehearse before the audition for 20-25mins.
• The invited auditionees are required to perform a programme of at least two contrasting pieces lasting approximately 10 minutes in total, followed by a short interview.
• If you are auditioning as an accompanist you must prepare two contrasting pieces, one instrumental and one vocal, for which you must provide your own soloists.
• The audition panel will be:
Matthew Hargreaves. Head of Scholarships & Artistic Planning at The Drake Calleja Trust.
Anna Wolstenholme. Principal Flute of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra.
Bryan Evans MBE. Music and Artistic Director of Diva Opera.
Drake Calleja Trust, Unitec House, 2 Albert Place, London N3 1QB, UK
+44 (0) 7973 333770
+44 (0) 20 8371 6085