Our Senior Scholarships are for musicians over the age of 18, with no upper age limit.
Each academic year we award scholarships ranging from £1,500 to £9,000 per scholar, depending on individual circumstances. Scholarships can be used to cover fees, instrument purchase, masterclasses, competitions, recordings, concerts and other related activities.
Important dates for 2022:
January 28th - Applications open
March 13th - Applications close
April (date tbc) - Invitation to audition
May (dates below) - Auditions
June (date tbc)- Results announced
The auditions will take place in:
Sunday 15th May
Friday 20th May
Saturday 21st May (am only)
Friday 27th May
Saturday 28th May (am only)
Sunday 22nd May
Sunday 29th May
There is also an option for on-line auditions for those unable to attend live.
***IF WE ARE UNABLE TO HOLD LIVE AUDITIONS, WE WILL MAKE AWARDS FROM ON-LINE APPLICATIONS.***
• Singers, solo instrumentalists and accompanists living and studying in the UK can apply.
• To apply to the Trust you must be able to prove that you will be enrolled as a student in the UK for the applicable academic year (next applicable year: 2022-23).
• We do not support ensembles, composers, conductors, music theatre or jazz students.
• Applicants must be 18 or over on 1st September on the year of application
• We are open to all nationalities: UK, EU and international students can apply.
• Applicants must be of an outstanding standard and be able to clearly demonstrate that they are in need of funding.
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR APPLICATION SUBMISSION:
• Applications must be submitted online using the form on our website. No other format will be accepted.
• Full biography or CV uploaded via the online form.
• Links to at least 2 recent video recordings lasting approximately 4 minutes each must uploaded via the online form. Longer recordings can be submitted but candidates must specify the section to be heard.
• Name and email address of your referee.
We will ask for your reference if you are invited to audition.
• Budget for the academic year 2022-23.
Please provide as much information as possible. This should include:
Outgoings: Course fees, Accommodation, Travel, Food.
Income: Student Loan, Scholarships, Paid work, Money from Parents.
Shortfall. How much you still need for the year.
• The applications deadline is strict. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. No exceptions to this rule will be made under any circumstances.
National Opera Studio, The Clore Building, 2 Chapel Yard, Wandsworth High Street, London SW18 4HZ
Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, Castle Grounds, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3ER
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, 100 Renfrew Street, Glasgow, G2 3DB
Royal Northern College of Music, 124 Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9RD
• The shortlist of auditionees will be announced in April 2022.
• The DCT allocates the audition times to the selected applicants.
• The cost of travel to audition is not covered by the DCT.
• All auditionees will have access to a practice room for 20-25mins prior to their audition.
• A piano accompanist will be provided if needed (free of charge). There will be opportunity to rehearse before the audition for 20-25mins.
• The invited auditionees are required to perform a programme of at least two contrasting pieces lasting approximately 10 minutes in total, followed by a short interview.
• If you are auditioning as an accompanist you must prepare two contrasting pieces, one instrumental and one vocal, for which you must provide your own soloists.
• The audition panel will be:
Matthew Hargreaves. Head of Scholarships & Artistic Planning at The Drake Calleja Trust.
Anna Wolstenholme. Principal Flute of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra.
Bryan Evans MBE. Music and Artistic Director of Diva Opera.
Drake Calleja Trust, Unitec House, 2 Albert Place, London N3 1QB, UK
+44 (0) 7973 333770
+44 (0) 20 8371 6085