Joseph Calleja Facebook page, click here.
- Blessed with a golden age voice that routinely inspires comparisons to “legendary singers from earlier eras: Jussi Björling, Beniamino Gigli, even Enrico Caruso” (Associated Press), Maltese-born tenor Joseph Calleja has quickly become one of the most acclaimed and sought-after tenors today. His expansive discography and frequent appearances on the world’s leading opera and concert stages prompted NPR to hail him as “arguably today’s finest lyric tenor”, and led to his being voted Gramophone magazine’s 2012 Artist of the Year. He is a Grammy-nominated recording artist for Decca Classics, the recipient of the 2014 International Opera Awards Readers’ Award and the recipient of the 2016 Opera News Award.
- Having sung an impressive 28 leading roles to date, he is noted for his portrayals of Verdi’s Duke of Mantua in Rigoletto and Alfredo in La traviata; Rodolfo in Puccini’s La bohème and B. F. Pinkerton in Madama Butterfly; Donizetti’s Edgardo in Lucia di Lammermoor, Nemorino in L’elisir d’amore, and Leicester in Maria Stuarda; the title characters of Gounod’s Faust and Roméo et Juliette; Tebaldo in Bellini’s I Capuleti e I Montecchi; and Don Ottavio in Mozart’s Don Giovanni.
- As an exclusive Decca Classics recording artist since 2003, the tenor boasts an extensive discography that includes complete operas and concert repertoire, as well as five solo albums: The Golden Voice, Tenor Arias, The Maltese Tenor, Be My Love: A Tribute to Mario Lanza, and Amore. His videography enjoys similar success, and it was his portrayal of Alfredo in the Royal Opera House’s DVD/ Blu-ray release of La traviata, in which he co-stars with Renée Fleming and Thomas Hampson, that earned Calleja his first Grammy nomination. His rendition of the Verdi aria “La donna è mobile” is featured on the soundtrack of No Reservations, a 2007 motion picture starring Catherine Zeta-Jones and Aaron Eckhart. He made his Hollywood debut in 2014’s The Immigrant, in which he portrays the legendary tenor Enrico Caruso in a cast with Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix, and Jeremy Renner. Calleja has been profiled in New York’s Wall Street Journal and London’s Times, among other newspapers, and has graced covers of magazines such as Opera News. An increasingly frequent face on television, he has appeared on such programs as CNN’s Business Traveller, BBC Breakfast, Sky Arts’ South Bank Show and the Andrew Marr Show, and been featured in numerous internationally televised concerts.
For a detailed biography visit: www.josephcalleja.com.
Watch Joseph Calleja:
Head of Scholarships & Artistic Planning
- Vicky Yannoula began playing the piano at the age of eight in Corfu, where she was born, and soon after she found herself performing in venues across Europe. A few of her performance appearances include solo piano and chamber music recitals at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, Kings Place, The Forge, St. James’ Piccadilly, Sherborne Abbey and the Thessaloniki Concert Hall. She has performed as a soloist with orchestras in Europe and has collaborated with distinguished artists and ensembles such as violinist Leonidas Kavakos, pianist Sofya Gulyak and the Allegri Quartet.
- Vicky Yannoula holds piano performance degrees from the Royal College of Music and Goldsmiths College. She has received prizes in international piano competitions in Greece, Italy and the UK and is a scholar of the Leventis Foundation and the Solti Foundation. During her student years she participated in a number of master-classes including the Sion Academy where she worked with Nelson Goerner and Paul Badura-Skoda, and the International Holland Music Sessions where she worked with professors Karl-Heinz Kammerling and Mikhail Voskresensky.
- She has released world premiere recordings with Toccata Classics (Shostakovich piano 4-hands) and Resonus Classics (Beethoven/Czerny piano 4-hands).
- Vicky Yannoula is active as a concert pianist and an educator. Forthcoming performances include solo as well as chamber music recitals with her Zachariadou-Yannoula cello-piano duo. She also combines her concert schedule with other academic, managerial and entrepreneurial activities within music. She currently is: Head of Scholarships & Artistic Planning of the Drake Calleja Trust, and Founder & Director of Akouson Classical network and Akouson Classical Artists agency.
For a more comprehensive biography visit: www.akousonclassical.com/profile/vickyyannoula.
Watch Vicky Yannoula:
- Performing with Joseph Calleja at the 2016 Drake Calleja Trust Annual Scholars’ Showcase – click here.
For information about our 2017-18 scholarships, please click here.